Child Support
Mums Advice, Parents

Who Pays Child Support in a Co-Parenting Relationship?

A common misunderstanding about child support is the assumption that if you have joint physical custody and your child spends half of his or her time with you and half of the time in the other parent’s household, then neither parent must pay child support.

Joint physical custody is usually the situation where the child spends equal time with both parents. It may happen though that when the parents share joint legal custody, it may be factors the court uses when awarding child support when determining who pays child support.

For example, if the child lives with you but you don’t have custody of him/her, and you don’t have the finances to help care for your child, you may be able to get child support payment assistance from your child support lawyer. If your ex-spouse is paying your child support, then you might be able to get the assistance from your attorney as well.

A common question about who pays child support in Texas is whether or not noncustodial parents may be awarded payments. Noncustodial parents may be awarded child support if they have a physical or legal custody of the child. Custody is defined as having authority over a child.

A custodial parent is described as having the ability to make important decisions on behalf of a child. In some cases, a noncustodial parent may have rights that are similar to that of a custodial parent; however, they cannot have the right to petition the court for an order that would change the visitation or custody arrangements made by the custodial parent.

Parents that live together in a married relationship (even if they are not legally married) are considered to have joint legal custody of their child. If a parent is granted sole physical custody of the child, they are given sole legal and physical custody of the child.

Even if a parent has joint legal custody of a child, that does not mean that they have sole physical custody. This can be defined as having the responsibility of making decisions about the child’s welfare, unless court orders otherwise. A parent that has sole physical custody of a child may petition the court for visitation or custody.

A parent that lives with both parents has shared physical custody. In this situation, the child support payment is split between the parents. The parents may continue to pay child support even if one of them has primary physical custody.

A divorced mom can sometimes receive child support assistance from the father of her children. This can be helpful when the mom needs extra money to make ends meet and help her children with expenses as well. Divorced fathers also have rights to custody of their children, just as mothers do, though they do not have the same set of rights as mothers do.

There are a few things to remember when dealing with a child support order. First, you should always seek out legal advice before making any changes to the order. Only a licensed attorney should make these types of changes, as they must be in accordance with your family court laws.

Also, you should not change your child support order once it is in place or risk the penalties and fines associated with changing it. Lastly, you should seek court approval before making any type of major life changes, such as taking out a loan or altering your employment status.

After a divorce, one of the most common arrangements parents make is to have “unseen” time with each parent. Unseen time is when the child turns 21 and no longer has an obligation or relationship with one or both parents.

During this time, the child is not obligated to either parent, but neither are they financially responsible for the child. For example, when a child is born and the parents live together and have a child together, they have a duty to support the child, regardless of whether or not they remain married.

This means that they cannot get financial support from the other parent if they remarry after the child turns 21 unless they are still married.

If both parents remain married and there is a difference of opinion about which parent the child will have more contact with (i.e. joint physical custody or sole custody), the court may consider custody and visitation schedules to be established.

This schedule is generally what will become of your child, giving them time with either parent (or neither parent depending on the circumstances) during the year. However, the court may consider any other arrangement involving visitation that would be fair to the child.

Lesley Anne

Mum of 3 kids and 4 pets with a wealth of knowledge on bringing up kids, managing relationships, travelling and more.

You may also like...

Popular Articles...